We strive for a focus on consideration of the developmental needs of children with any disability, including a foundation of security and stability with opportunities to develop personal endeavors and autonomy, encouragement for creativity, clear limits and expectations for behavior, and one which respects the values and cultural backgrounds of all children involved.
Guide, empower, thrive
At SASE, we believe in delivering equitable access to learning opportunities that enhance the development of confidence, self-advocacy, and independence so that each student, regardless of their diverse strengths and abilities, can achieve their personal goals. Students in our after-school program are encouraged to take an active role in their own development via a multi-disciplinary team effort involving themselves, their families, and a variety of service providers. We are committed to providing the right environment for our children to develop physically, emotionally, and intellectually so they may succeed in their endeavours and enrich their lives.
Opportunities available to your child in our after-school program
- Access to essential services and opportunities for growth and development in a safe, nurturing setting.
- Improved peer relationships and enhanced confidence.
- Time set aside for physical activity and the development of functional skills.
- Safe and engaging activities outside of school hours.
Our After-School program promotes student autonomy by bringing together students, parents, carers, and other assistance providers. Fostering an accepting environment is essential to supporting students with disabilities. We can enhance our team’s efforts by ensuring that our environment is friendly and inviting, fully inclusive, and recognizes our students’ accomplishments.
Other ways we support your child through a constructive environment:
- Providing cues for reducing anxiety, redirecting attention, and transitions will be used.
- Utilizing consistent, straightforward, and honest communication accompanied by nonverbal cues and visual aids to convey ideas better.
- Schedules and classroom rules are posted and accessible.
- Students' collaborative efforts and artwork are on display.
- Teaching your child to keep their materials and belongings in order so that everyone has access to resources.
Our program endeavours to implement total inclusivity, a balance of structure and flexibility, and a curriculum led by your child’s interests. Many activities are adapted with some planning and creativity to be appropriate for children of varying ages and stages of development. Every child develops at their own rate, and moving from one stage to the next takes time. Overarching goals for students will address the promotion of the following:
- A positive view of oneself.
- Accomplishing one's goals.
- Developing and embracing one's individuality.
- Becoming progressively self-sufficient.
To this end, we will implement and uphold a behavioural management system that rewards respecting ourselves, our peers, and our learning environment.
A child's unique requirements can be met through individualized support from our highly qualified, trained staff members. Dedicated to best practices, our staff treats children of all abilities with the same kindness and compassion. They are skilled in time management, creating visual materials to enhance communication, and can create innovative and engaging activities that accommodate the needs of every child in our program. We also provide regular training opportunities in accessible communication, inclusive programs, recognizing and addressing discriminatory practices, and using assistive technology and equipment.